The following message is from the Georgia Department of Public Health. Please click here for the original release.
For Immediate Release Contact: Sarah Peck
March 19, 2020 Phone number: 706-510-5438
Drive-Through COVID-19 Testing Begins in Athens-Clarke County
Athens-Clarke County - The Northeast Health District has opened a drive-through site that is testing for COVID-19 by referral. The testing site is performing specimen collection only, and results will take three to four days. No results will be given on-site.
If you have symptoms of COVID-19 such as fever, cough, and shortness of breath, you should stay at home and call your health care provider to describe your symptoms and reasons for suspecting exposure. Be sure to call before going to a doctor’s office, emergency room, or urgent care center. Your healthcare provider will assess your risk factors and refer you for testing, if appropriate. If you do not have a primary care provider, you may call 844-442-2681 to receive instructions on how to be assessed and referred for testing, if needed.
The best prevention measures for any respiratory virus, including COVID-19, are:
• Wash your hands often with soap and warm water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and
water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
• Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
• Avoid close contact with people who are sick, and stay home when you are sick.
• Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
• Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
For accurate and reliable information on COVID-19, visit https://dph.georgia.gov/novelcoronavirus or https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nCoV/index.html