Title 1, Part A parent and family engagement guidelines are met with meaningful and strategic actions to build parent and school staff capacity as outlined in the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) of 2015. Increasing parent involvement is a goal of the Title I program. The purpose of parental involvement under Title I is to promote active engagement among local school officials and staff, education leaders, technical assistance providers, parents, parent advocacy organizations, and others working to improve student achievement and learning.
What is a Parent Involvement Policy?
The district has a Parent Involvement Policy as well as each Targeted Assistance Title 1 school (JES/JA) in the Jefferson City School District. The district policy sets the expectation and establishes the framework for parent involvement at each building.
The district and school policy/plan is the foundation for the home, school, and community partnerships that set forth the expectations for parental involvement activities and describe how those activities will be implemented and evaluated to assure adequate and meaningful involvement.
What is a Parent-School Compact?
A parent-school compact is an agreement that parents, students, and teachers develop together. It explains how parents and teachers work together to ensure all students receive the individual support they need to reach and exceed grade-level academic standards.
Each Title 1 school in the district has a parent-school compact that is distributed to parents and the community. The Parent-School Compact was developed with input from parents, students, and teachers. It is reviewed and updated annually.
Want to Become More Involved in Your Child's Education?
- Stay Informed
- Directory Information (easy access to contact information for district and school employees on the webpage)
- Calendar Events (prepopulated event dates specific to your child's school)
- Follow the school system and your child's school on social media, including Twitter and webpages
- Important System and School Notifications - Infinite Campus
- Infinite Campus - Access your child's grades (Infinite Campus App for your phone)
- The funds in your child's lunch account
- And MORE!
- Check Your Child's Grades Often
- By downloading the school system's "Campus Portal" application, you can stay organized about your child's:
- Class Schedule
- Communicate Regularly With Teachers
- Faculty List
- Jefferson Elementary
- Jefferson Academy
- Jefferson Middle
- Jefferson High
- Provide Academic Assistance to Your Child
- What should my child be learning? How can I help? National PTA website
- Search Videos at Khan Academy
- Parent Involvement resources on JCS District Website
- IXL (Math and Reading)
- Provide a Rich Learning Environment at Home
- Provide a daily routine
- Have your child read every day
- Have a quiet space for completing homework
- Ensure that your child is organized
- Read to and with your child and talk about the book together
- Make time for meaningful dinner conversations
- Plan and go on educational trips
- Play educational games
- Help in the kitchen - read recipes
- Encourage Your Child to Participate In Extracurricular Activities
- Participating in extracurricular activities has the following benefits:
- Improves academics
- Raises self-esteem
- Builds relationship skills
- Assists with goal setting